EmcArts works alongside individuals, organizations and communities in the arts and social sectors to strengthen their capacity for innovation and adaptive change. Our arts-integrated workshops and intensive labs help participants navigate complexity and build cultures that embrace change. Our Community Innovation Labs program creates local interventions and cross-sector networks in order to address intractable social challenges, and our Arts Leaders as Cultural Innovators (ALACI) fellowship program is developing national networks of adaptive leaders. Read more about our work here.
We are recruiting an experienced Executive Assistant/Business Development Associate to support the President and the Managing Director and provide back-up support to other team members as needed. The successful candidate will be an outstanding and proactive implementer with strong organizational and interpersonal skills. Candidates should have experience working with arts and cultural organizations and thrive working as a part of a small, close-knit creative team.
The two-fold role of the Executive Assistant/Business Development Associate is to assist and support EmcArts’ President and other team members to advance the development of new EmcArts programs by supporting the company’s business development efforts. The position reports to EmcArts’ President and the Managing Director, but closely interacts with the Board of Directors and all EmcArts team members, both taking direction from and giving direction to multiple team members, depending on project roles and tasks assigned. Areas of Responsibility include:
- Travel: Assist and support the President in all travel logistics related to company business, including air and hotel reservations, ground transportation, maps and directions, audio/visual & document needs; negotiate hotel rates in cities where team members travel frequently; make reservations for Board Members and other Team members when necessary.
- Project Management: Serve as Project Manager/point person for programs designed for single organizations as well as President’s keynote addresses, workshops, and speeches. Track proposals under consideration, draft Letters of Agreement based on templates, handle logistical and audio/visual needs, distribute presentation materials and slides, manage invoicing and travel reimbursements, and liaise with Program Manager/ Facilitators to ensure a sound launch of Single Organization programs, etc.
- Board Liaison: take notes at all Board meetings, draft Board meeting agendas and minutes of the meetings, maintain Board minute book, and communicate with Board members through monthly email updates on EmcArts activities and events. Support the President and Managing Director in the development, launch, and long-term management of an Advisory Board/National Council.
- Business Development: Track and follow up on the company’s Business Development pursuits and interactions with online research, timelines, liaising with President, Managing Director. Work with Communications Manager to oversee business development-specific communications strategy and CMS maintenance.
- Grants Management: Generate and edit standard proposal attachments, Board documents, correspondence and other documents as requested. Provide staff with grant and proposal calendar updates.
- Staff Support: Provide secondary support for Operations and Program Coordinator in office space management, as well as for other EmcArts’ administrative staff and programs, as requested.
- Calendar: Schedule internal and external meetings for President; collaborate with Operations and Program Coordinator to maintain Board and Team-wide meetings in the Company calendar.
- Filing: Manage filing (hard and electronic) systems for President, Board of Directors, and Business Development areas, as well as own files.
- Expense Reports: Review business development expense reports; prepare President’s expense reports and travel reimbursements.
- Organized self-starter, with strong investigative, time and project management skills, the ability to juggle competing priorities and multiple team members’ needs and schedules, and a real gift for getting things done – accurately and efficiently
- Excellent communications skills and ability to manage diverse personalities
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment that often doesn’t make time for full training around every task
- Ability to contribute to direction setting and to take direction when given
- Energetic team worker and good communicator, comfortable in an environment where teamwork involves constant feedback and learning, but is also comfortable working on one’s own
- Decisive about implementation tasks, knows when to ask questions and when to make a choice and implement effectively and immediately
- Excellent computer systems skills, including research fluency with the web; ability to oversee content management systems
- Ability to follow and improve on office systems/processes
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in a similar or equivalent position
- Knowledge of arts and arts education organizations, and of organizations that support the arts (foundations, state arts agencies, services organizations, etc.) preferred
- Experience representing a firm effectively with grantees, partners, and funders
- Ability to interact and contribute to multiple project budgets and create financial reports
- Confidant interacting with legal representatives on issues of international business development and/or government officials on the completion of work visa applications
The Executive Assistant/Business Development Assistant is expected to work a 4-day (32 hours) week operating during standard business hours. We are flexible and open to working out a mutually agreeable standard schedule. Busy times may entail some evening and weekend work, or occasionally shifting to 5-day weeks, although this is rare. Salary is budgeted for $45,000(4-days a week, per-annum).
Timeline and Hiring Process:
Applications will be accepted until May 23rd. We expect to begin interviews in June for a negotiable start date in July; qualified candidates can expect to go through one phone interview and approximately two rounds of in-person interviews.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references as one PDF document to Maura Cuffie, Operations and Programs Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Your application must be saved as a single PDF document with your full name in the document title. In addition, the subject line of your emailed application must read as follows: Executive Assistant and Business Development Associate Application. Resumes without cover letters will not be accepted.
No phone calls or inquires, please. Incomplete applications will not be considered, and only shortlisted candidates will receive a response.
EmcArts is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.